Wednesday, March 23, 2016

How To Teach Students to Read a Literary Text; Reading Strategy

The content and inspiration for this post comes my way via Karlene Chorney, Edmonton Public Schools Consultant. She is a fabulous advocate for student reading.

The slide show below is based on Kylene Beers' work in Notice and Note, Strategies for Close Reading, which "presents a suite of new lessons for helping students read literary texts with deeper understanding" (p. 1).

I should mention there is also a companion book called Reading Nonfiction that is set up in a similar way.

What both books do, is present a framework we can teach to students to use as they analyze text. They can look for a series of 'clues' and then think about those clues and how they relate to the greater meaning of the work. I really think this framework offers a valuable and accessible way to speak about text with students. I hope you enjoy it as well. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks again to Karlene for sharing her expertise and awesomeness with me.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, "how do we choose texts for our students?" This is a question that keeps me awake at night. Or, even better, "how do we monitor their understanding?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carolyn. We can't lose sight of the assessment piece.

    ReplyDelete